Hyderabad Climate Change Summit 2015 held on December 8 in the city to understand climate change with a focus on local issues. As a result of the summit, following resolutions have been made.
Action at the global level:
- Reduce global energy consumption by 60%. Even without phasing out fossil fuels, each of the following actions can reduce global emissions by 10%:
- Shrink cities and re-ruralize. Cities consume 75% of global energy use. They are energy consumers and not producers. Their energy consumption per unit area is >100 times that of its hinterland. They have the same relation with their hinterlands as imperial countries had with their colonies.
- Phase out air travel and private land and sea transport. Air travel contributes to 5% of global emissions. Air travel and private transport are emission-intensive and do not serve the majority of people.
- Nuclear energy is not a substitute to Fossil fuels. It cannot be taken recourse to as clean and safe energy.
- Move towards soft borders all over the world. This will reduce the need for large standing armies, security forces and weapons of all kind, including of mass destruction.
- Keep all the remaining fossil fuels reserves underground to avoid overshooting the remaining carbon space.
- Move towards a time-bounded global energy and emissions equity for all people. An equitable and sustainable per capita energy use is ~0.8 toe per annum, which is sufficient to live a decent middle class life, but without owning private transport. To achieve this:
- USA and Canada must reduce their energy consumption by 90% and Europe including Russia, Autrlasia and Japan by 75%.
- Set up a universal air emissions standard for the entire world.
- Move towards decentralized solar, biomass and animate energy.
- Set up quantified sustainability indices.
- HUM-HYDERABADI: a movement , Hyderabad, India
- SAVE OUR URBAN LAKES (SOUL), Hyderabad, India
- NATIONAL ALLIANCE OF PEOPLES’ MOVEMENTS (NAPM) –TELANGANA, Hyderabad, India
- ENERGY CONSERVATION MISSION(ECM), Hyderabad, India
- Chetana Society, Hyderabad
- Joint Action for Water, Hyderabad
View full PDF of Hyderabad Climate Change Summit 2015 here.